Slovan (La Grange, Tex.) Vřešeno, děkuji!

Archiv vyřešených příspěvků. Prosíme již neoživovat.

Slovan (La Grange, Tex.) Vřešeno, děkuji!

Příspěvekod kate.challis » stř kvě 08, 2013 4:23

Hey y'all,

This isn't even that old, but I'm having some difficulties with the Czech. Can you please help?

This is an old Czech newspaper published in La Grange Texas.
http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth48638/m1/7/zoom/?q=La%20Grange

On page 7, found in the above link, there is an advertisement on the right hand side by F. Russek. Here is a transcription:
Jednatel pro přeplav mezi Bremen a Amerikou
S tímto upozornuji každého, kdo svým přátelum v Evropě cestu do Ameríky předlatiti chce, aneb kde do Evropy cestovati si přeje že já
přeplavní lístky ze všech míst
z Evropy do Texas,
aneb z Ameriky do Evropy, za levnou cenu vzstavují. Zařízení toto poskytuje cestujícím velké výhody, poněvadž na takové lístky se cesta bez přestržení z domova až na místo konati dá, Výprava děje se přes Nový York pravidelně každých 7 dní, přes New Orleans jen na podzim a na jaře a přes Baltimore každých 14 dní: Také sprostředkuji zásilky peněz do Evropy a vyzdvihuji tam anechané peníze na požádání:
F. Russek,
Schulenberg, Fayette Co., Texas

Here is what google translate gives me:
Managing Director to pass over between Bremen and America
With this, note anyone to their friends in Europe Coming to America předlatiti wants, or where to Europe cestovati wishes that I
přeplavní cards from all sites
from Europe to Texas,
or from America to Europe for a cheap price vzstavují. This facility provides great benefits to passengers, because on such a journey without tickets přestržení from home to give the points to meet, design happening across New York regularly every 7 days over New Orleans just in the fall and in the spring and through the Baltimore every 14 days: It also mediates the shipment of money to Europe and point out there anechané money on demand:
F. Russek,

Please help me translate those few words that did not translate. I think they are key to understanding what this ad is about. I'm trying to discover if he was an individual immigration agent, or worked for a company. Maybe I will be able to find a repository with his own private papers, which might have some valuable records for some of my Czech immigrant ancestors.

THANKS THANKS THANKS!

Kate
Naposledy upravil kate.challis dne stř kvě 08, 2013 19:33, celkově upraveno 1
kate.challis

Re: Slovan (La Grange, Tex.), Vol. 2, No. 3, Ed. 1, Thursday

Příspěvekod Slim » stř kvě 08, 2013 4:50

Předplatiti = booked
Cestovati = voyage
Přeplavní lístky = boat tickets
za levnou cenu vystavují = cheaply issued (boat tickets)
bez přestržení z domova až na místo = without hiatus from home to the destination
vyzdvihuji tam zanechané peníze = withdraw up the money (from home)
Slim

Oblast pátrání: Kunčice nad Ostravicí (Velké Kunčice, Ostrava-Kunčice)
Hrabová (Velká Hrabová, Ostrava-Hrabová)

Příspěvekod Věra Mátlová » stř kvě 08, 2013 6:46

The Conveyer (agent) for passage between Bremen and America
This is to advise anyone who wants to prepay for friends in Europe a trip to America or who wishes to travel to Europe, that I am issuing shipping tickets from Europe to Texas or from America to Europe for reasonable prices.
This provides great benefits to passengers, because it enables to make a trip without let-up from home to given point with these tickets.
Tours go on via New York regularly every 7 days, via New Orleans during the fall and in the spring only and via Baltimore every 14 days.
On demand I also mediate shipment of money to Europe and withdrawal of money consigned (deposed) there.

F. Russek,

Seems to me Kate that Mr. Russek was a private agent. BTW, do you know what "Slovan" does mean? The meaning is Slavonian. i.e. a magazine directed and maybe even issued by people coming from the Central, Eastern or Southeastern Europe, Ukraine and Russland.
kozulena
Věra Mátlová

Příspěvekod ozana » stř kvě 08, 2013 7:38

Rusek, ten bude od nás ze Slezska
http://www.kdejsme.cz/prijmeni/Rusek/hustota/
Ožana neznamená ženu, přestože to kdysi velmi dávno bylo ženské křestní jméno
ozana

Oblast pátrání: Slezsko, Petřvald okr.Karviná, Šenov

Příspěvekod kate.challis » stř kvě 08, 2013 19:32

Thank you Věra, děkuji vám! I appreciate your help greatly. This is exactly what I am looking for; private immigration agents, as well as companies that hired immigration agents (for example, the railroad!).

Ozana, it would make a lot of sense if this F. Russek was from Slezska; that Moravian-Silesian region is the area that most Texas Czechs came from :)

Thanks so much.
kate.challis

Zpět na VYŘEŠENO